[Rhodes22-list] Zepyrus Is in the Water!

Todd Zumach zoomerzx at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 19:31:57 EDT 2006

We got Zephyrus in the water today!  I had hoped to get it in this weekend,
but was still working on last minute projects this morning. I decided to
take her out a little after noon.  My friend Jack, his son Alex and our
German exchange student/daughter and I headed out to the local lake.  When
we pulled up to the boat ramp I was stunned to see that the county had not
yet put out the dock! I told Jack that he would be in the boat and could
fire up the motor for the quick trip to the nearby fishing pier.  Of couse
he could not get the motor to start!.  So, he set the genoa and slowly
drifted over to the pier.  I ran over there to find that it had detached
from its base and was floating about ten feet from shore. I took off my
shoes and waded out in the 50 degree water.  After I got on board, we
rounded the point of the protected cove and we were immediately slammed by
the high winds. The weather was not ideal for a first sail of the season.
Cloudy and cold at only 58 degrees. According to weatherunderground.com,
when I got home, we had sustained winds of 16 mph and gusts of 24.  I know
we had stronger gusts earlier this afternoon.  It  is very reassuring
sailing in the R22 in this kind of weather.  I would have been terrified in
my old South Coast 22.  The R22 was stable and predictable given the
unpredictable conditions.  I was constantly challenged by the shifting
winds.  I managed to bury the rail several times.  After a couple hours of
fun we had to put the boat ashore where I keep it on the other side of the
lake.  I had been playing with the motor and was able to start it, but not
keep it running.  I suspect I have too little gas in the tank.  I thought I
had filled it last fall, but now there is less than a third of a tank.  I
also locked down the vent screw which I think caused a vacuum lock.
Eventually, we got the boat up to the dock and tied it off.

A grand start to a new sailing season.

Capn Z
Phillips, WI