[Rhodes22-list] E85 fuel

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Sun Apr 30 15:19:38 EDT 2006

Slim,

Thanks for your info regarding alcol.  I guess Rummy was posting
figuratively in terms of the effects of the drought on ethanol production.   I
misunderstood, I took his comment literally. I understood him to mean the  drought had
literally put the  industry out of business.   I’m  sure a drought will hurt
ethanol production big time.

I’m not uniquely committed to ethanol.  I would like to see some  effort
invested in alternative, even sustainable, transportation fuels, that  could mean
ethanol, or modified ethanol, or something else.  I think it was  2 years ago
that Pres Bush announced in his State Of The Union speech that the  federal
government was going to spend $15M to develop alternative fuels - and I
thought, big deal.  It’s at least 2 or 3 decades past time the US got  serious about
transportation fuels, how about a substantial national R&D  program to solve
this problem?.  The first oil shock (1971?) should have  been a wake up call.

I recall people saying that ethanol made no sense, that it was just more
pork for the farm lobby.  The case of Brazil is a counter example, they did  it
and it worked for them - it’s hard to ignore a successful  instantiation.  I
have no idea what alcol costs are, it may be a lot, but  it appears to me that
the costs of US regular is closing fast.  If you’ve  filled up your SUV, van,
or truck recently you know what I mean.

Dave