[Rhodes22-list] LED Navigation Lights available from Ancor

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Aug 1 10:48:05 EDT 2006

At 07:35 PM 7/31/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>Now that's interesting.  This was also true on the other LED
>choices.  I wonder that they must go through a beaucratic approval
>process - probably doing all of that now.  Thanks for the heads-up,
>Bill.  They identify them as equivalent to the approved non-LED
>bulbs, suggesting for nav use also.

Actually, I think there is is a very good reason for that.  LEDs, by
nature, give off a very narrow cone of light, as compared to
incandescent.  Which means if you place one on your masthead, most of
the light will be shining up, not out where you want it.  Some of the
replacement bulbs may actually be banks of several LEDs arranged to
throw out light to the sides or placed under some kind of dispersing
lens.  However, if you have a bank of several LEDs to get the
coverage area you want, you may not be saving much energy over a standard bulb

You can get some good information comparing various lighting sources
at http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_lighting.html

Cheers!

John

"Would it help to confuse it if we run away more?"