[Rhodes22-list] LED Navigation Lights -- specifications

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Aug 1 12:47:50 EDT 2006

Folks,

LED nav lights for sailboats need a wider dispersion
than just the horizontal plane.  As we are often heeled
over 10 degrees or more for extended periods, if a nav
light does not cover an arc of 15 degrees above and
below the horizon throughout its intended bearing range,
it may not be visible from the side.

When you look at LED nav lights for your sailboat,
check carefully for this spec.  It is often omitted.
Many LED nav lights are designed with a lesser arc of
visibility above and below the horizon, as might be
appropriate for a power boat.

In my reading of vendor literature, even with the wide
dispersion type of LED, the power consumption for the
same spherical sections of output visibility would be
less.

When I replace my lights, I'll be going with LEDs.  I
think it will pay off in the long run in labor, total
service life, and power consumption, even with the
still-high initial cost.

/Robert Skinner