[Rhodes22-list] More on motors

Ben Schultz benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com
Fri Aug 11 10:47:18 EDT 2006

I've always thought that 8 or 9 hp motors are (mostly) overkill.  I
almost always used the motor for only two things:  getting to the lake
or to the slip through a bayou or canal, and for getting in when there
is no wind at all.  In these flat-water situations, my 5hp motor moved
the R22 along at 6kts.  I even motored across the lake directly into
moderate wind and chop, and moved at roughly hull speed.  The only time
I needed more power was a time when I was towing a swamped kayak.

The only motor I've used was a 4-stroke Evinrude.  I strongly recommend
that you buy any other motor.

Ben