[Rhodes22-list] Elle and Surveyors..spilling the beans

L. Sailor watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 10:37:26 EDT 2006

Thank you, Peter...or, rather, thank Stan. It's his imagination that we all sail on.

  Getting the controls up to the binnacle where I can reach them appears to be the problem.

  Does this Tohatsu have a remote capability? I also need elect. start as I am not strong enuf (nor are my arms long enuf!) for pull start.

  elle

Peter Thorn <pthorn at nc.rr.com> wrote:
  Elle,

Congrats on your boat! I saw it in Edenton about a month ago in Stan's
shed. Very nice!

I have a 2005 Tohatsu 4 cycle 20" (long) shaft -- just the basic pull start
motor, no extras except the 6.5 sailboat prop. It's a 9.8 hp, but
essentially the same motor as the 8hp with a little tweaking to get more
power. It's 81 pounds and reasonably good for trailer sailing.

I really like that motor. It usually starts on the first pull and idles
nicely, like a quiet sewing machine. Although it has more power than needed,
it will push the boat at hull speed at less than 1/4 throttle, sewing
machining along. Very quiet. Last year in a rough Pamilco Sound chop
returning from Ocracoke and out of sight of land, I was glad to have the
extra power. Another plus is knowing that it pollutes less than 2 cycle.

PT