[Rhodes22-list] Winter storage

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 14 20:28:57 EDT 2006

Jerry:
     This will be my first winter (just got my Rhodes in June).  I wish I had the flexibility to do it your way but I have no way of transporting the mast home.  Best I could do would be to rent space for it at a marina.  I had considered using mast to support the tarp for the winter but using duct tape to protect the mainsail within the mast from bugs etc. and bringing the genoa home in my pickup (about 70 miles from boat's location) to store it inside for the winter.  Are there reasons I  shouldn't try to seal the mainsail in the mast to protect it?
  RexH

cjlowe <cjlowe at bright.net> wrote:
  I've taken Mary Lou's advice and built a beam out of two x fours to support the tarp,and take the mast and sails down to the basement and tie them up to the bottom of the floor joices (sp). I think it helps preserve the sails. I can Inspect the rigging and do other improvements over the winter by lowering the mast onto saw horses.Last year I made a anchor light ,deck light ,and steaming light and ran all new wire up the mast. The year before I replaced the jib stay andadded a VHF antenna and wiring. This winter I plan to send the jib off to sail care and replace the main furling tube bearings,with the new upgrades Stan came up with.

Jerry Lowe