[Rhodes22-list] More motor choice questions

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Aug 16 16:27:59 EDT 2006

Dave,

(See comments within text)

From: <DCLewis1 at aol.com>

{clip}

> One comment regarding your mounting  the remote on either side of the
cockpit
> as opposed to the tiller:  sometimes you’re seated on the port side, other
> times the starboard, and other  times standing peering above the cabin
top, but you
> ’re always attached to the  tiller when you’re steering.

Ah, newbees - they still think that steering is accomplished with the
tiller.  As you become better aquainted with your R22's performance, you
should lock the tiller and make slight course corrections by simply shifting
your weight.  In the days before IMFs (I still live in that past), it was
(and still is) a common sight to lock the tiller (with the motor on and
pointed into the wind) and go up forward to hoist the main.  Being
comfortable with "remote steering" by weight shifting is a valuable asset.

{clip}

> One thing to watch out for when the motor and tiller are not
interconnected
> is turning the motor prop into the rudder, or conversely.  I imagine the
prop
> will chew your rudder - that’s one mistake I haven’t made yet.

It is impossible to make the motor and the rudder meet on my '81, if the
motor is in the down and fully vertical position.  The rudder simply won't
come over far enough.  This may have changed on newer craft.  If so, you are
correct in assuming that introducing the two will not result in a favorable
situation (bent prop, sheared pin, less than whole rudder, etc.)  BTW, I
have learned to carry a replacement shear pin for the prop just in case you
run aground or hit debris while motoring.  Some folks even carry a spare
prop.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer