[Rhodes22-list] Electric Trolling Motors

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Tue Aug 22 16:37:00 EDT 2006

Folks,

Another appeal to the list for wisdom and experience.  It’s occurred  to me
that it might be useful to carry an electric trolling motor onboard in  case
our OB fails.  My sense is that electric trolling motors are simple,  compact,
and reliable - I could see storing one under the cockpit seats, or  perhaps the
laz.  If my perceptions regarding electric trolling motors are  wrong
(simple, compact, reliable), would someone with experience please correct  me.

If anyone has experience with electric trolling motors on their R22, I’ve
got a few questions:

I’ve looked at electric trolling motors, of course they come in different
sizes and have different max thrusts, but the smallest, lightest, etc I've found
 are rated at 30 lb thrust.  I have no idea how 30 lb thrust relates to the
R22, does anyone?  Is it useful at all?  How many kts in flat sea with  no
wind?

I imagine if you had 30 lb thrust, and you were on a river, say the  Potomac,
you could make 1/2 mi to shore.  I’m not thinking of going  up-river, or
necessarily back to your slip, I’m thinking in terms of just  getting off the
river and out of trouble. Any experience that would say that’s  wrong?

Has anyone mounted an electric motor on the stern when there is already a
rudder, swim ladder, and an OB with remote.  What I’m asking is, is there  room
on the transom or does the electric prop conflict with the rudder?   I’ve
eyeballed our transom, and I think there is room to fit the motor between  the
swim ladder and the rudder in an emergency (I could be wrong about  that, I
haven't actually done it), but I’m worried about chewing up the rudder  and the
transom.

If you had an electric trolling motor, say the type with 30 lb thrust,  about
how far can you get, on 2 standard auto batts?  I can do the
Amp-Hr(batts)/Amp(motor) trick, but I don't know how that translates to  distance.

Thanks for any info or experience on this topic.

Dave