[Rhodes22-list] Electric Trolling Motors

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Aug 22 18:08:31 EDT 2006

John,

I just spoke to a fellow at Minn Kota about using the EM (engine mount)
version of their electric trolling motor and was told not to.  The small gas
outboards (7.5 - 9.9 hp) engines cannot support the engine mount system.
The electric motor needs a much larger gas motor (and cavitation plate) to
mount on, lower in the water (they need 13" of water above their motor).
They suggest using a separate transom mount trolling motor.  An 80lb-thrust
motor (about 1.8 hp equivalent) can move up to 4000 lbs at 3-4 mph.  The
larger trolling motors move heavier loads, but all at about the same speed,
which is a function of prop pitch.   I was told an 80lb motor (shipping
weight of 35 lbs, a real lightweight) costs about $400.  They suggest using
a pair of Group 27 batteries in series to power the trolling motor.  At full
speed, the 2 batteries will last about 1 hour 20 minutes.  The 80lb motor
draws 56A at full power at 24V!  Probably difficult to replace the charge
via solar panels!  Interesting technology...

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer

From: "John Lock" <jlock at relevantarts.com>

> At 03:37 PM 8/22/2006 -0400, DCLewis1 at aol.com wrote:
> >Has anyone mounted an electric motor on the stern when there is already a
> >rudder, swim ladder, and an OB with remote.  What Iâ?Tm asking is,
> >is there  room
> >on the transom or does the electric prop conflict with the rudder?
Iâ?Tve