[Rhodes22-list] Sculling the R22

rjquinn at bellsouth.net rjquinn at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 23 23:52:07 EDT 2006

The rudder partially up works quite well.  We also kept a canoe oar on board for those times when the motor would not start and the wind would not allow us to sail into the dock.  The canoe oar stored quite nicely in the "catch all" pocket along the sides of the "Vee" berth.

We were nursing a sick motor for the first year or so that we had the R22 "NoKaOi".  One evening the motor would not start, so we sculled (Kathy at the rudder) and I on the side with the canoe oar.   We moved into our slip smoothly.  Low and behold my brother was standing on the dock looking for us.  When I explained that the motor was "ill" and the method was our "emergency propulsion system" he replied that if I had not said anything he would have never known as it looked so smooth.

Bob on the "NoKaOi"