[Rhodes22-list] Electric Trolling Motors - Dave Try ...

cjlowe cjlowe at bright.net
Thu Aug 24 00:03:45 EDT 2006

When I first bought Country Rhodes,She didn't come with a motor( It was
stolen two weeks before I bought her). My old boat was a Com-pac 16. I used
a 40# thrust trolling motor and then upgraded to a Yamaha 2.5hp 4 stroke.I
used the trolling motor 2 or 3 times on the Rhodes.It's a mile down a well
protected channel to the main part of the lake,from the marina.The motor had
5 speeds ,I normally ran it on 4 with the Rhodes.on 4, it would go about
2.5-3 knots,on 5 ,it would do 3.5 knots. The battery was wanting charged
after a run in and out of the channel . I modified the motor mount
bracket,and used the Yammer- Hammer for 2 months.(The Yamaha was a short
shaft.) It would push CR about 4 Knots,but it would do it until it ran out
of gas.I pulled a dead pontoon boat behind CR with it for about a mile and a
half,but it was a slow trip.
I think I would fashion a bracket to  attach to the swim ladder to hold the
trolling motor for emergencies. That's what the trolling motor is
for,right,so you don't have to use the swim ladder?

Jerry Lowe