[Rhodes22-list] Hurricane Evac

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Aug 28 12:04:01 EDT 2006

Herb,

You had strong opinions before you went to NO.

Most people in NO did not die from the hurricane, they died because of
levee failure.

The Federal Evacuation Plan for people without cars living in New
Orleans was not implemented by the Federal Government (read FEMA).  The
people and city followed the plan.  FEMA failed to provide the promised
resources to move them out of the city.

The Federal Government put up and certified those levees.  The people of
NO did not ask for them.  The people of NO had been complaining for
years and years and years that the levees would not hold if they were
ever hit by a Cat 3 storm, and that they should be raised to Cat 5
standards.  That still has not been done, and the levees are still not
up to Cat 3.

I think the days of shifting the blame and pointing fingers at everyone
else are coming to an end.  We shall see shortly.

Bill Effros