[Rhodes22-list] I'VE BEEN OUTED! or 'My Journey TO a RHODES'

petelargo petelauritzen at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 11 13:47:32 EST 2006

I guess it's time to 'surface' since the Ed pics officially outed me. First I
would like to say that I am really not as old as the pictures make me look.
I think it was the light that day, probably too much of it. I have been
living 6 months in Boone, NC (June to Dec) and six months in Key Largo (Dec
thru May) for the past 6 years. I have been sailing for 6 years and have
been a classed river kayaker for 12 years. I am relatively friendly.

Next, I admit that it is true that I bought a RHODES without ever personally
seeing one or sailing one. I know that it's kinda crazy, so I hope I fit
right in with this group. After sailing several boats I did get a real clear
picture of what I wanted in a boat.  I spent two years of research to arrive
at the RHODES choice. The RHODES was the only boat that looked to exceed my
requirements. I think it will.

In my search for what I could afford, sometime around end of October for
about three days, I actually had first right of refusal on three used
RHODES! I was the second in line for the steve crop RHODES in ft. laud. I
had dibs on another RHODES that has not resurfaced yet. And then I called
Rummy.

I can't really say enough about the help and enthusiasm that Rummy and also
Ed gave to me upon my bearing in on the Lake Hartwell RHODES. At some point
when I told Rummy I was a bit nervous, he actually told me to 'knock it off,
your getting a great boat and my name is on the line as well'.  It has been
years since I met someone who was actually concerned about their good name.
How refreshing!

I did meet Stan, who baptised me at the factory upon picking up my trailer.
It was a cold day in Edenton and Stan had a huge parka on that went from his
knees to just past his chin.  Rose did paperwork and I proceeded onto Lake
Hartwell. I did trailer the RHODES to Boone NC in the High Country and found
myself to be more of a religious man than I thought, as I drove HWY 321
straight up to Blowing Rock in my 20 year old rusting FORD F-150 named
"Beast".  I did start breathing again the next day.

I will have many technical questions to be sure. For now the most pressing
are:

1) How many weeks go by before you stop compulsively walking outside and
constantly looking at your Rhodes?
2) Is it considered an extra marital affair if you are touching your RHODES
more than your wife?
3) Is it a diagnosable mental disability, if you simply can't stop thinking
about sailing in your RHODES?

Thanks for being such a great group and to Stan for his passion.

NEXT: "My Journey IN a RHODES"

Pete Lauritzen
Red Rhodes 89 Recycled 2004