[Rhodes22-list] Boom Room Design

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Feb 1 08:49:41 EST 2006

Thanks, again, Will,

Could you put the boom room from the General Boats site on that page as
well?  I have attached it.

Stan mentions a "Boom Tent" on the site.  Does anyone have pictures of it?

Rummy,

Do you have any pictures of your set-up?

Other's have mentioned rigs that they find perfectly satisfactory--any
pictures?

Slim,

I have more shots of your Boom Room, but they are all small.  Do you
have larger pictures?  Or is what I've got all there is?

What I like about the PTE is that it is elegantly designed.  I can erect
it in the dark in less than 5 minutes.  I can pack it up in less than 5
minutes.  It fits perfectly.  It greatly increases the amount of
interior space in the cabin.  It is nice to be inside, providing both
privacy and openness.  Sometimes the windows are down, sometimes rolled
up--everything is functional.  I don't hesitate to put it up.  It
stores, ready to use, in a 3 ft x 3 ft x 9" space in the bow.  The
"cabin" created by the PTE is far nicer than most cabins on most
sailboats--regardless of size.  When you wake up in the morning in a
quiet cove you think you might have died and gone to heaven.  You can
hang out in it for a long time.

I would like to get the same qualities from the Boom Room.  I have
mentioned that an Aerobed fits perfectly in the cockpit space, creating
the most comfortable bed you may ever have slept on.  I would like to be
able to use it in a bug-free, dew-free environment -- and still wake up
to that bright, airy, inviting feeling that the PTE provides.

The right Boom Room, used in combination with the existing PTE, should
create just about the finest coastal cruising boat in the world.  IMHO.

(Around here there are a lot of big boats.  I used to let myself get
conned into sleeping on them with friends.  They are more work than
doing your taxes, and far less comfortable than a Motel 6.  The R-22 is
actually comfortable.  It is really a pleasure to stay on board, you can
get a great night's sleep, and you can have all the romantic moments you
imagine you will have when you see the pictures of much larger sailboat
interiors in magazines. -- I want the BR to make this experience even
better.)

Bill Effros