[Rhodes22-list] International email; reply to Rummy

Tootle (sent by Nabble.com) lists at nabble.com
Wed Feb 1 06:17:02 EST 2006

Rummy:
          Some international email work fine.
     Remember that I was in Ukraine and not Russia.  Ukraine and especially
     western Ukraine wants out from the Russian Bear.  Email address that
     end in the suffux .ua which is the code for Ukraine work fine.  However
     many in Ukraine still must route their communications thru Russia, which
     ends in .ru .  The email addresses that end in .ru do not work in USA.
     MJM spotted the reason immediately.  That is some countries are blocked
     because of SPAM.  However, this stops legitimate email users.
          MJM suggested trying Yahoo, which I am attempting to do.  So far, after
     one email using Yahoo, it has not bounced.  However, I have not received a
     reply.
          Looking back, Michael has a point.  There is one person in Rivne, Ukraine
     that used a Yahoo email that worked, so this may be an answer.  Or, if they
     use Yahoo it may not be a problem.  Again, I can communicate to some anyway
     just not those who use service going thru Russia.
           Keep in mind that there are many who are building successfull internet
     access businesses in the Ukraine.  However, they charge money.  Many of
     those who I am attempting to communciate with have to use local public
     access, or very inexpensive methods left over from the days of the big
     bear.
            Also, the independent providers are moving agressively.  When I went over,
     my host was Ternopil State Medical University (TSMU).  They were very proud of
     their web site.  I told Dr. Kovalchuk, the head of the University that the site was
     good and he had very computer personnel.  However, at that time it the USA, it
     took several minutes just to load the home page.   I showed him the baud rate
     he was using.  I had met with a local independent provider of internet access and
     had measured his baud rate at the incoming server.
             He looked at the speed and said that the problem was going to be solved in
     6 to 8 weeks.  They were laying optical cable to his servers and would have optical
     service speed then.  In fact he knew how many kilometers of optical cable was laid
     each day.
              Obviously, both he, that is the internet provider and Kovalchuk were on the
     same page.  A couple of months later, TSMU became a fast access site.  See:   http://www.tdma.edu.te.ua/english/data/general/common.php/    or:
www.ternopilmedicalacademy.com/
     The home page that takes seconds now, took about 15 minutes last year this time.  Also,
      Kovalchuk was over here in May, I was able to send his staff video clips taken in Greenville
      of him meeting here.
                If you know of anybody who wants to go to a foreign medical school, have them
      contact and I can arrange an introduction to the admissions staff.   It is a competant
      medical school in need of students.  At one time they got students from the whole
      Soviet Union, but get fewer from Russia today.  They use the European method of study and
      now recruit students from all over the world.
               Another interesting thing, is that the Ukraine is going into elections again.  They will elect
      every political level, from Parliament to local.  So expect to hear occassional news reports on that
      subject.
               If you know anybody who wants to go as a tourist, again I have contacts.  And I
      emphasis my contacts are honest who want Ukraine to be seen in the best way.  I would say
      that the costs are very reasonable.  Also, Lvov, in western Ukraine has a long history, that most
      of us never heard of.  See:  http://www.franko.lviv.ua/  or
                Again, my problem is only certain email addresses, not all.

Ed K
Greenville, SC USA