[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Long Island Sound

Richard Smith sailnut at att.net
Thu Feb 2 13:46:43 EST 2006

< But I have been out in winds on LIS where my 8hp
> could barely keep me moving forward.  In the 14 years I've owned my
> engine, this has happened only a handful of times. >

I have experienced similar conditions around the mouths of Sounds south
shore bay's.  However the winds are almost always accompanied by a short
chop which causes pitching and (inevitably) cavitation.

Under such conditions it's the wiser course to tack (under power) across the
head seas rather then motoring directly to windward.

My first boat was a 19 foot Abin flush deck with a lot of windage. Power was
a 4hp Mercury 2 stroke.   I can recall picking up a mooring buoy in Port
Jefferson with the southerly wind blowing around 25/30 kts.  Even with my
wife standing on the foredeck  with the boat hook (thereby providing more
windage and aerodynamic imbalance) I was able to approach the buoy under
full control.

That was a windy night.  Later a tanker left the fuel dock at the power
plant the wind was still blowing hard and the tug was unable to control it.
Much whistle tooting and churning about by various marine interests!

This is not to say I could make hull speed in a blow.  I am sure I could not
approach it.  BUT I could work to windward and that's what counts.

Richard Smith