[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Long Island Sound

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 2 13:58:36 EST 2006

Hi Nick,

Welcome to Rhodes 22land!

We trailer/sail and have the Tohatsu 9.8 20" manual start.  Also have the
6.5 prop.  It's the lightest (82#), simplest, quietest and least polluting
motor I could find on short notice.  The difference between it and the 8 is
not worth worrying about.  I like the simplicity of having only the fuel
connection and the manual start is no problem.

I agree with most of Bill's comments, except the charging/electric start
option.  Would rather be light and simple.  Later on will post some comments
about batteries, but this is about motors.

Last October we were returning across 50 miles of open water from Ocracoke
to Oriental, NC.  That water is not unlike LIS.  The morning was a gorgeous
tight reach back with the wind from the south.  After entering the Neuse
River, the wind clocked to on the nose (west) and picked up to 20-25.  It
was building and getting colder.  Short square waves about 3' tall and maybe
a boatlength or so long developed.  Real nasty choppy teeth rattling
conditions.  All four boats in our group wanted to be back by dark and
definitely before the good local restaurant closed.  We were motoring in
conditions where sailing would have been more comfortable, but night sailing
in those condition was not attractive.

I furled the sails and set the boom high and mainsheet tight for a good
handhold.  Steered standing up for a better view, with one hand on the
tiller, legs wide, one hand on the boom, punching over and sometimes through
the waves.  At about 4 knots, every 10th wave or so would crash over the
bow, roll across the deck, up over the cabinhouse and a little water would
sheet under the pop-top and leak into the cabin.  (Note to self: get some
3/4" bakker rod to have on hand for stuffing under pop-top/cabintop joint
for extreme conditions).

After a while of struggling to windwind like this, decided to experiment a
little.  Increased motor speed to about 5 knots.  I'm not sure why, but
going a little faster resulted in fewer waves breaking over the bow.  It
must have something to do with the motion of the boat and the frequency
(length) of the waves.  Anyway, it was drier, and an interesting discovery.

Even in those rough conditions the Tohastsu 9.8 was not at wide open
throttle.  My guess is it was 1/4 to 1/2 throttle at the most.  I think an 8
would be just fine too, but would not want a motor smaller.

So... I agree with your thinking.  KISS.

PT