[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Long Island Sound

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 19:04:01 EST 2006

Hi, Nick.  One more data point.  We went with Stan's 9.9 Yamaha and electric
start/electric lift.  Sounds like a luxury and an added complication, but it
made my wife more comfortable to feel that she could easily lower the motor
and start the boat.

By the way, did you find a slip in the area?

Dave Bradley

On 2/2/06, kuzzal at comcast.net <kuzzal at comcast.net> wrote:

> I would appreciate some advice;
>
> I will be picking up a new Rhodes from Stan at the end of March & will be
> sailing Long Island Sound (for the 1st time) from Stamford CT.
>
> I am shopping for an outboard engine and like the Tohatsu 9.8 HP 4 stroke
> engines but don't like the weight at 86 Lbs for the 20" manual & 91 Lbs
> electric start. I would prefer a lighter engine.
> The 8 HP is the same weight as the 9.9 HP so no pint in going with the 8
> HP except for cost.
> The 6HP is only 55 Lbs but I suspect that its to small for Long Island
> Sound? Those of you out there who sail the sound what size do you use?
>
> A more general question; I can't seem to justify the electric start since:
> 1. It adds weight  (only 5 Lbs),
> 2. Adds cost (~$200),
> 3. The battery charging ability will be limited since when running it does
> not produce much charge and probably will use more for starting then it will
> produce for charging.
> 4. Its got to be wired in to the electrics - extra hassle
> 5. Manual start is simpler, no wiring, less cost, less weight.
>
> Comments welcome
> Regards   Nick Kuzniarski

David Bradley
203.253.9973