[Rhodes22-list] Boom Room Update

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 21:09:35 EST 2006

I had the great pleasure of visiting Stan and Rose yesterday at GBI
world headquarters in Edenton.  In between looking at my beautiful new
R22 in mid-production and a nice dinner (at Waterman's), we talked at
length about the boom room project.

At the risk of not relaying it completely accurately, here is Stan's
thinking on a "best" boom room design.  (Stan, please correct me as
needed.)

Boom Room Design Parameters:

1.  Primary use is for overnight camping, and design should maximize
benefits for this primary usage.

2.  Not integrated with Pop Top Enclosure – removes complexity factor
and improves economics/ease of set-up.

3.  Fabric is sail cloth, with roof panel treated for water resistance.

4.  Roof panel rests on top of boom as main support beam.

5.  Must have rigid frame at roof panel perimeter; other roof support
members TBD.
        a.  Evaluate frame materials for lightweight rigid frame that
is easy to store
        b.  Consider aluminum tubes with crimp/socket connections, and
shock cords
        c.  Explore design for "yokes" to fit over boom as supporting "rafters"
             (see drawings if I can figure out how to attach)

6.  Multiple side/front/rear panels with optional screen and clear
plastic sections.

7.  Side/rear panels zip in place and snap to gunwale; taught snapped
panels provide lateral roof support; no need to attach to stays.
        a.  Lower boom slightly to assemble, then raise boom to tension panels
        b.  If using roof panel only as shade tent, run cords/straps
from perimeter
             frame to gunwales for lateral support

8.  Front panel snaps across cabin trunk top, leaving hatches outside boom room

9.  Forward edge is in front of mast and inside forward side shrouds;
aft side shrouds are disconnected for boom room set-up; topping lift
line runs next to mast; roof panel seals around mast.

10.  Rear panel fastens inside rear stays and stern rail and snaps to
gunwale, with enough tension to ensure rain will slide down the angeld
surface; evaluate whether a "shoulder" can be created by adding ties
to stern rail (similar to how an umbrella tent has outside ties to the
exterior frame).

Net, the design that Slim has (which Stan made for the original owner)
is pretty close to what Stan thinks is optimal.  The idea of multiple
panel options (solid, screen and clear) gives it the Rhodes
flexibility and quality, while keeping sizes down.  Where he has never
been happy is with frame designs.  He leans toward aluminum or
stainless with the "crimp and socket" (somebody tell me if there's a
techincal term) type fitting and shock cords used in tents.  The
individual pieces need to be short enough to fit under cockpit seats
or in lazarette.

Stan is more than happy to have some help in project managing this,
which Bill and I are doing for now.  Stan will advise as we go.  He
thinks we should work with small fabricators to get a prototype built
vs. working with someone "in the sailboat business."

Next Steps:

1.  Finalize design specs and obtain firm committments.

2.  Create prototype, beginning with frame fabricator.

Please reply with comments and suggestions.

Best regards,

Dave Bradley

P.S.  I tried attaching a jpeg file with drawings.  First is of an
idea Stan has for a yoke that would also serve as a support rafter for
roof panel.  Second is a not-to-scale sketch of the numbers and types
of interchangeable panels.