[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Long Island Sound

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Fri Feb 3 15:42:55 EST 2006

Art,
I've had a 9.8 and an 8 hp on the boat and hadn't worried about the transom
weight.  The 8 is a lot easier to mount and dismount, but for me that's only
once a season so it's not really an issue.  To me, ANY motor lock will do,
although I bought the Fulton lock that fits over the mounting screws.  I did
notice the Fulton tends to rattle a bit so this year I'm going to stuff some
extra foam inside the thing to keep it quiet.  Just an ordinary long shackle
padlock that fits in the holes in the mounting screws will do, but the
Fulton is a bit more attractive. Last year someone with a boat stole several
motors right off of boats in the marina.  They (evidently) paddled up to the
boats in the middle of the night and took smaller (2- 10hp) motors right off
the boats.  I think they got 5 or 6 before they finally quit.  So under
those conditions, any lock would have worked.  Our marina is in a state park
(very unusual for Virginia) and the park police would sit up half the night
using night vision glasses to watch for the thief.  Hard to catch someone
that comes in the middle of the night and only strikes once every couple of
weeks.  They never did catch him at work, but I heard they arrested a guy
selling boat motors at a flea market (like, how many boat motors would a
person have so they could sell them at a flea market?).

- rob