[Rhodes22-list] BR Frame

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Feb 3 09:33:43 EST 2006

Dave,

What are the reasons for not using PVC?

Easy to clean.  Easy to mark (Slim's markings showing where each piece
goes are very useful--I mark all my stuff, too.) Light weight.  Easy to
fabricate.

Not as cool as stainless steel?

It seems to me it would be easy enough to put threads on the ends of the
PVC and screw them together.

I haven't done a whole lot of tenting, but I've done some PTEing, and as
solid as that rig is, I take down my Pop Top and remove the fabric when
the wind starts blowing.  Same is true of my mast and sails.  The BR
would be the first thing to come down, it has nearly as much surface
area as my main sail.

I think one of the important things about sailing is knowing when to
reef, and reefing before you get in trouble.  I also think we would all
know when to take down the BR, irrespective of frame.

Bill Effros