[Rhodes22-list] Boom Room Update

Michel Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Fri Feb 3 18:59:00 EST 2006

I had an Idea,

This is just the fist example I found, but I will give you an Idea:

http://fibraplex.com/tentpoles.htm

Basicy it is using carbon fiber tent poles that are folder able with a
bunggy cord to keep them together, that is both installed and storged,
they are littler, stronger, smaller the PVC and will "shatter" less,
also they are already designed for the wind loads, and not that pricy
because they are mass-produced for tents............

-mjm

Room
> >thread with interest.  No immediate plans for a BR, but  may get one
in 2
> years.
> >
> >I?ve done a fair amount of tent camping.  The tents we use today go
up
> with
> >aluminum tubes and shock cord - they've come a long way since I was a
> kid.
> >They go up very quickly and they?re robust.  The tents are made  with
> thin
> >light weight tent cloth and they commonly have a fly over the top
(it?s
> part of
> >the tent).  The purpose of the fly is to reflect radiation  and let
air
> >circulate beneath to cool the tent.  Also, the  fly is water-proofed,
as
> is the
> >entire tent, but the fly takes the brunt of any  rainfall and directs
> most of the
> >water away from the tent.  Finally,  the fly catches the brunt of the
UV.
> >Collapsed, the tents fit in a backpack  (supports and all).  You?ll
see
> mountain
> >climbers using them in very  stressing (i.e. high wind) environments.
> >
> >If the material and supports these tents are made with are strong
enough
> for
> >high winds on a mountain, why aren?t they good enough for the water?
> I'm
> >not suggesting those explicit tent designs and structures, but use
the
> tent
> >cloth and aluminum/shock-cord technology.
> >
> >The tent cloth is easily worked by hand or with a standard sewing
> machine. I
> >think that it will likely be cheaper to fabricate a BR with tent
cloth
> than
> >sail cloth or Sunbrella, and the resulting BR will be more compact to
> store.
> >The aluminum/shock-cord technology will be much more compact  than
PVC.