[Rhodes22-list] Boom Room Update Feb 6

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 12:49:39 EST 2006

Thanks again to all who have been participating in the Boom Room
discussion.  Sorry to clutter your e-mail for those who aren't interested.

I've tried to capture the discussion to date and offer this crude rendering
as "version 1"of a schematic to force some design decisions.

Per Stan's guidance:

1.  Our goal is to build a "good" boom room that can be marketed as an R-22
option for under $1,000, with subsequent options in the form of
interchangeable side panels.

2.  It should look good but will not incur undue design/manufacturing
expense for aesthetics only.  (For what it's worth, I believe the Boom Room
will be seen by many when at anchor in popular mooring areas... probably
differs around the country.)

3.  Ease of set-up and take-down is a key benefit, as it will drive usage
and therefore satisfaction.

4.  Slim's Boom Room is closest to what Stan has in mind, and is a good
starting point.

We have had a good exchange on materials and methods.  I've tried to be true
to the discussion but don't claim to be (a) a designer, (b) a draftsman, or
(c) and engineer.  So please have a look at the attached JPEG "sketches"
that perhaps can lead us to a schmematic for a prototype.  If you can
provide specific comments, I will do my best to capture and manage an
update/decision process.  Think of this as part social experiment...

A note on the renderings.  I've used what's available on the web to create a
to-scale outline of the hull, cockpit and cabin trunk.  If anyone has better
drawings please let me know.  Once we get this going I will drop many of
these slides, but for today just wanted you to see where I got the
outlines.  If anyone would like the PowerPoint file please contact me
off-list at dwbrad at gmail.com.  Happy to provide if someone has a way to
convert to real schematics.  And last, Ed K and others, please feel free to
insert correct terminology where my engineering vocabulary falls short.

Thanks,

Dave B.

--
David Bradley