[Rhodes22-list] New Design BR

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Tue Feb 7 00:49:12 EST 2006

OK, look, there's one thing that all agree upon--the pop top enclosure is
too good to be true.  I could go on and on about how easy it is to set up
and take down; doesn't require any frame; you can motor and/or sail with it
up; provides standing head room under cover; has roll-up storm flaps/screen
windows; easily stowable; is the first defense against the weather; already
beautifully engineered and available for about a grand.  What could be
better?

Then comes the cockpit extension.  The cockpit room extension of the PTE.
In my opinion, everyone who is interested in expanding the use of their boat
should have the PTE first.  Period.  Then why should the boom room make the
already-perfect PTE obsolete?  Why not integrate?

My guess would be that Stan wants to offer an either/or type of option so
you could either spend a grand on the PTE or spend a grand on the Boom
Room--your choice--but you won't have to spend two grand to enclose the
cockpit.  You could spend one grand for a stand-alone BR like mine.  But
since nobody DOESN'T want the PTE, or already has one, why not go from
there?  Sort of a step one and step two enclosure system.

The two inherent problems with my boom room are the issue with the shrouds
and access to the bow.  Stan seems to be sticking to that design.   Art's
design lacks those flaws.  So does Roger's.  Let's put the best feature of
each of them together and get rid of the problems.

It wouldn't take more than a couple zippers and some velcro to integrate a
boom tent to the PTE and make it splendid.  OK, so you have to spend two
grand for the whole thing.  Anybody complaining?  In theory, I wouldn't
hesitate to sell my stand-alone BR for what I've got in it ($500) and turn
around and spend a G on something else that's new and perfect.  Something
that can be set up by two drunk chicks in the dark!

Slim