[Rhodes22-list] BR New Design

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Feb 7 08:56:40 EST 2006

Slim,

It appears that your PTE cannot be installed at the same time as your
BR.  As I understand the new design, it will be possible to install the
BR over the PTE, and still pass the "Drunk Chick Dark Test" (DCDT).  The
new design will be something between your BR and the one featured on the
R-22 site, which I have attached.  The PTE is mounted under the boom,
the BR will be mounted over the boom.

I still see many times when I would prefer the speed and simplicity of
the PTE, set at the last minute, to the more complex BR; and other times
when I would want to set the BR, or Sun Shade, without the PTE, and
still other times when I might want the PTE and BR at the same time
(When one person is awake and another is asleep.)

When I set up my PTE early, I generally don't attach all the front
snaps, or zip it up.  This allows me to continue using my hatches for
ventilation until I go to sleep.  Some variation of this should be
possible for the BR to allow re-entry to the cabin from the bow.

I have seen turnbuckles that open like a jackknife to release the
tension without resetting the turnbuckle.  Sort of a quick release
mechanism that  might be useful for this purpose.  Since turnbuckles
just screw on and off the rigging, this might answer some of your
concerns about set-up--they could easily be added to any rigging.

In any case, I would continue to carry both my PTE and my new design BR,
and I would deploy both at different times.  If I didn't have either
one, I don't know which I would buy first, but I think both should be
designed so that neither requires the purchase of the other.  As we gain
experience with them, we will better understand which device is used
more often.

Um...about Roger's design...have you looked at it lately?  I have
attached it, too.  When Stan said said "ugly is OK" I don't think he was
picturing this in his mind.   Also, note the distance between the boom
and the room.  This is a short person's boom room.  It seems to have bow
entry problems of its own.  I don't think we have much to take from this
design beyond the fact that the enclosure is useful and this design is
not the way to go.

I'd love to see Art's design.  It sounds like a foundation for the
direction we are heading.  I am trying to understand it better, and will
take all the help I can get.

Integrating the PTE dodger design with your awning design looks like a
natural, but apparently doesn't work.  The MacGregor version has only a
fraction of the utility and coverage at 5 times Stan's projected cost.
(Picture also attached.)

I agree that we still have assembly problems to address, but my
inclination is to go in the direction recommended by Stan.  If I could
buy a boom room like yours for $1000, I would do so in a heartbeat.

Bill Effros