[Rhodes22-list] Retirement/Sailing Locales by Dave

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Thu Feb 9 15:05:52 EST 2006

Dave,
Getting to choose anywhere you want to retire.  What a wonderful project.
I'm flattered by Ed's reference to my being an expert on Beaufort and
Morehead City, NC, but I have only spent one week over there.  Captain Bob
Keller is probably a better source for year round sailing conditions.  I do
know from my limited experience that there are some wonderful sailboat
oriented towns and harbors as well as very remote and secluded anchorages.
I definitely plan a return trip.

Now, for my retirement.  Hmmm, where would I pick?  I would have to say The
Bahamas, unless I had other ties to the mainland (kids, etc.).

Bill Wickman

             Tootle
             <ekroposki at charte
             r.net>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
             rhodes22-list-bou                                          cc
             nces at rhodes22.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [Rhodes22-list] Retirement/Sailing
             02/09/2006 01:47          Locales by Dave
             PM

             Please respond to
               The Rhodes 22
                 mail list
             <rhodes22-list at rh
                odes22.org>

Dave,
     1.   So you have a new level of awareness. Congratulations!
     2.   Guess what, we have archives that speak to many of the areas you
spoke of.
     3.   Last I heard, Stan has a lot by his house with access to the
sound
that he is trying to sell.  Since you are planning a trip to Edenton, why
not check out Hertford.  You may not be aware that he does have a house.
He
does not live at the plant all the time.
     4.   Amelia Island is a place to check out.   The ICW gives you access
to sailing both north and south.
      5.   Captain Bob Keller is the resident expert on Savannah, Ga. and
Beaufort, SC.
      6.   Will and Russ can tell you about Hilton Head.
      7.   Our current expert on Beaufort, NC and Morehead City is Bill W.,
however, over the years others have commented on sailing that area so a
check of the older archives might be in order.
       8.   There is a Rhodie just down river of New Bern.  Alex and Pamela
supposedly retired there.  Then Alex could not leave well enough alone and
started:  http://www.marinercanvas.com/ of course that is near the coast.
        9.  One place that you did not mention is the Top Sail Island area.

That is just north of Wilmington, NC.  Just south of Wilmington is Bald
Head
Island.  No bridge to it, just boats.
        10.   Now if it is sailing, and sailing a Rhodes 22 that you are
interested in, there is this lake in South Carolina  that has many
retirees.
It is called Lake Keowee.  Do an internet search to see the extensive
retirement communities on it shores.
         11.  And you might check out this lake on the Geogia-South
Carolina
line.  It is called Lake Thurmond.  In particular a retirement golf
community called Savannah Shores.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
(see Mr. Rummy, I did not mention ...)
Sent from the Rhodes22 forum at Nabble.com.