[Rhodes22-list] Solar Cells, Batteries, and GPS

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Thu Feb 9 17:02:08 EST 2006

Mark,

Good advice from PT regarding the power draw.

Regarding GPS having a view of the sky.  GPS is a radio location  system, as
I recall it works around 2 Ghz.  But the important point is that  it may work
inside your cabin.  The fiberglass outer form may not perturb  things much.
People on the list likely have actual user experience (like  you, we're getting
our boat in the next 6 to 8 weeks, so I haven't tried  this).  I would expect
the mast and boom to perturb the GPS signals  stability more than the cabin
ceiling.  Certainly, there will be  attenuation of the signal coming through
the cabin ceiling and wall, and that  attenuation may be greatest when the cabin
exterior is wet, but there still may  be enough signal, dunno.

Others on this list will have actual user experience with specific  equipment.

I’ll be interested to know what you decide to do and what your experience
is.  We’re going with one solar panel and one batt also.  I plan to  get a hand
held GPS.

Dave