[Rhodes22-list] New Design BR

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 22:51:56 EST 2006

Art, you make some good points.

Stan's belief was that the waterproof spray is readily accessible.  Other
than that, I won't try to speak for Stan -- having already relayed his
thoughts based on one discussion with him in Edenton.  I think his bigger
challenge is the frame design anyway.

It does seem like we should look at a Sunbrella roof panel in comparison to
Dacron.  Have you ever compared prices?  And it is true, isn't it, that
where Dacron comes in frequent contact with a hard surface it creates a weak
point in the fabric?  As in sails on spreaders?

The side panels should probably be lighter and could get by with less water
resistance (other than the rear panel) -- what would you use for the sides?
Have you compared sailcloth to ripstop nylon?  Would you consider Sunbrella
on the sides?

I agree totally that a few bucks more for durability and reliability are
well worth it.

Bill E., do you think we're ready to zero in on a prototype spec?

Dave B.

On 2/9/06, Arthur H. Czerwonky <czerwonky at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> You are patient, and thanks for your reply.  A few questions you may be
> able to answer...
>
> What type and weight of sailcloth would be best suitable for this
> application?  Sails are made without a concern or need for water resistance,
> in fact are not water resistant.  The lighter cloth is less able in this
> type of use and the heavier is harder to manage, store, and less flexible
> (more difficult to install/uninstall).  Vendors of sailcloth I have spoken
> with vis-a-vis a cockpit cover have told me they would clearly prefer
> sunbrella versus sailcloth for rain protection.  I would not want to
> discover that I need to apply treatment to my cover while in the midst of a
> heavy downpour in the middle of the night.  I have seen some nasty
> unexpected storms like this.  What is the treatment, and how available is it
> to the public?
>
> Sailcloth is vulnerable to UV deterioration, the vendors tell me that in a
> stretched configuration (to prevent pooling or weeping) the UV exposed cloth
> would become fragile in about a year, more prone to rip and more often in
> need of replacement.  As a user I am concerned about durability.
>
> I am searching for the most nearly 'bulletproof' option, and can't see the
> value of a few bucks, or a few ounces, per yard saved if it results in an
> obvious compromise of any type.  Does that make sense to you?
>
> Art

David Bradley
203.253.9973
dwbrad at gmail.com