[Rhodes22-list] GPS

Hank hnw555 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:07:55 EST 2006

Brad,

There is a little truth to the warnings.

Back when the blackhawk first came out, the wires that controlled the
position of the stabilator (the big whale tail in the rear) ran in the same
bundle as the antenna wire for the #2 FM radio.  The Stabilator slew between
a position of 60 degrees down at a hover to 5 degrees up at cruise
(160kts).  Well, one of the early flight tests had the pilots flying along
about 50ft off the ground at cruise speed and they keyed the radio to talk.
This immediately sent the stabilator into a down mode and sent the aircraft
plowing nose first into the ground. Think 10000lb lawn dart.

Needless to say, the wires are now on separate sides of the tailboom.

Hank