[Rhodes22-list] Clips for Bimini Shade (as Reply for Bill W)

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Tue Feb 14 10:20:46 EST 2006

I have attached the entire thread for those interested.

Bill W.

             Bill Effros
             <bill at effros.com>
             rhodes22-list-bou         The Rhodes 22 mail list
             nces at rhodes22.org         <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
                                                                        cc

             02/14/2006 09:58                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: [Rhodes22-list] Reply for Bill

             Please respond to
               The Rhodes 22
                 mail list
             <rhodes22-list at rh
                odes22.org>

Ed,

Not to engage in a wrangle, here, but stating who you are replying to is
not really the "subject" of your email.  I actually save a lot of this
stuff, and it's hard to categorize it by subject line if we must
constantly refer back to previous emails to figure out what it was that
Bill W was talking about in the first place.  When your subject line
includes replies to multiple people, it's almost impossible for anyone
else to know what you are talking about--especially since you don't
include the original in your reply.

Bill Effros

ed kroposki wrote:

>Bill,
>            Of course you ask a question when my boat is an hour away.
However,
>the clip is generic.  The ones we use on the boat are about 3 inches long.
>Here is a picture of a similar one about 7 inches long.  The curtains are
>however wide sunbrella comes off the roll at the fabric store by about
four
>foot long.  The edges were sewed over and I installed grommets like for a
>tarp.  They could be hung on a line, but the clips work well and are easy
>adjust as the sun and boat change direction.  Look for cheap ones because
>they break and are subject to going over board.
>
>See attachment:  Attachment is gif and jpeg.
>Ed K
>Greenville, SC, USA

>Name: clip.GIF Type: image/gif Size: 32511 bytes Desc: not available

>Name: clip.JPG Type: image/jpeg Size: 11964 bytes Desc: not available

Ed,
What kind of clamps?  Do you have a picture, or brand name?  I have been
thinking of trying the same thing with my bimini...at least until the new
boom rooms are available.  Have you used the clamped curtains to keep out
rain, or are they not strong enough?

Bill W.

             "ed kroposki"
             <ekroposki at charte
             r.net>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  "The Rhodes 22 mail list"
             rhodes22-list-bou         <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
             nces at rhodes22.org                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             02/14/2006 07:51          [Rhodes22-list] Stanley's Bimini
             AM

             Please respond to
               The Rhodes 22
                 mail list
             <rhodes22-list at rh
                odes22.org>

             I have a 1984 boat with Stan's bimini.  In 1984, Stan did not
use
the expensive recessed attaching but simple bimini attaching pad eyes on
the
gunnels.
     Naturally, the recessed attachments will lower to standing head room
by
about 2 inches.  My best guess is clearance of about 2 inches below boom in
upper setting on my boat.
             My straps attach to either back rail or back stays.  Using the
back
stays allows better egress and exit to dock with bimini up and not
attaching
and unattaching rear straps.  My boat came with life lines and forward
strap
attaches to base of life line stanchion.
             In the summer in the south, the bimini is an absolute.  If we
are
not moving, we have sunbrella curtains that we attach using clamps from
cheap Joe's tool supply, i.e., Harbor Freight Tools.  Again, used for the
sun, they only face the sunny side.
             I do not have the pop top enclosure, but use the same curtains
clipped to edge of the roof to keep sun out.
     If you guys are so into gadgets, Stan needs a new project.  Have him
make you a power pop top.  You know, just press a button and up goes the
pop
top.  Listen up: http://sounds.formob.com/s-1-980-1.html

Ed K
Greenville, SC USA