[Rhodes22-list] Michael's back paying the bills

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sat Feb 18 14:26:18 EST 2006

Michael,

I don't know how they calculate which license to give you, but I got my 25 ton masters about this time last year (ironically, my wife and I had basically the same reasons you and your wife do). I turned in my sea time, and I'd say that probably 80-90% of my time was inland waters. None of it was offshore. They gave me a masters inland and OUPV coastal. My instructor told me (before I applied), that if you do it that way, you simply upgrade when you have more see time. That only involves additional paperwork. However, had I only gotten an OUPV (inland and coastal), and waited until I had the coastal sea time before going for the master's, I would have had to retest. You're going the proper route. Also, if you get more time on larger vessels, there's no additional testing to move from 25 ton to 50 ton.

>>> mjm at michaelmeltzer.com 2/18/2006 11:09:32 am >>>
http://www.marinersschool.com/ look for the oupv and the upgrade to the
25 tone masters(i.e. one more weekend), I have to check with the sea
time about how far offshore, but inland is covered.

I kind of view it better form of training more than "making money". And
when everyone uses the sarcastic form of "captain" on the water and at
the docks I am covered :-) Ran into them at the NY boat show and my wife
liked the idea, so.... I think she wants me to make money taking people
on boat rides... I thinking about delivery boat getting away from the
wife for a while :-)

-mjm

http://www.nabble.com/Michael%27s-great-