[Rhodes22-list] Politically Incorrect Sim Statement

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 17:32:33 EST 2006

Last week I was conducting recency of experience
training (3 take-offs and landings every 90 days) for
some over age 60 ex-United pilots.  We support a
charity organization that uses a  DC-10 as a hospital
around the world in third world countries (we'll keep
the name a secret so someone in cyberspace doesn't
make a stink)  United can no longer afford to support
them so we pulled up the slack.  The pilots and
mechanics are a mix of our folks and some United
people.  The age 60 rule doesn't apply since it is a
non-profit.  These guys were really sharp but they
don't fly that much anymore and we started out playing
"softball".  Things finally heated-up and we got to
the two of three engine out situation - the busiest we
train.  It is not uncommon for the front-enders to get
task saturated and tune out the engineer.  The Second
Officer (engineer) leaned forward and reminded them
that someone needed to work with him on some remaining
emergency checklist items.  The Captain turned around
and made the following statement - perhaps the
funniest I've ever heard in a sim:

"Hold on a minute, can't you see I'm busier than a
gerbil on Brokeback Mountain?"

Brad