[Rhodes22-list] R22 Instrumentation

William P. Barry, III wp.barry at att.net
Sat Feb 25 00:58:30 EST 2006

On our R22 we had a Lowrance GPS/Depth Sounder combination unit as well as a
bulkhead mounted compass. We had a mount installed on the port side bulkhead
facing the tiller that the GPS would slide into, with an identical mount
inside the cabin behind the step over the centerboard trunk so it could be
taken inside when not in use. The antennae was attached to the stern rail.
This setup was ideal for us and whether in use or in the storage fixture the
GPS was never in the way. The screen is too small to visible see your
present location without great eyesite, but its fairly easy to take a quick
look while under way when sitting on the bench seat tiller in one hand the
other on the GPS controls. Really there shouldnt be a need to constantly be
looking at it while under way. The numerical value for water depth however
was enlarged and easy visible from any position in the cockpit whioch would
be more vital immediately available information. We had a hand held GPS and
found that a fixed mount with the larger screen and chartplotter was much
more valuable in use. The handheld often just sat on the bench seat and
occasionally looked at but its chartplotting capabilities were extremely
limited due to the fucntional availability of a monitor. Also on the topic
of using a GPS as a compass... Unless fully under power or moving at a
decent speed, a GPS is not the most efective method of finding your current
travel direction. The gps cannot visible see which direction your boat is
heading like a compass can, it only tells you the actualy direction and rate
of speed in which you are moving. eg: If the boat pivots 360 degrees at a
point, the gps will not detect any movement at all. the fixed mount compass
however will also rotate 360 degrees.

http://www.chmarine.com/Rule/Compass/Saturn.html We had the bulkhead mount
(dual read) compass and had the backlight setup to turn on when the
navifation lights were on. No problems and found it very easy to read while
at the tiller. Bought and installed through GB. Only change that i would
have made would be a RED backlight for night sailing, less visual
distraction.

Hope this helps....

Will Barry
wp.barry at att.net