[Rhodes22-list] R22 Instrumentation

Michel Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Tue Feb 28 19:35:00 EST 2006

I second a mast head VHF, at this point DCS is a reasonable option but I
really wish they would install the GPS in them(like cell phones now).
The mast head antenna just seems to do better than the extra 30 foot
allows for in the math, maybe it get around local obstacles, maybe it
get the signal in an out better, maybe it the extra power. Hearing /
responding to the CG for 30+ miles is not usual, AGM/Gel/12 volt
systems still seem ok even wet, the flooded batteries do die.

    I suspects that an EPRIB is overkill for 99% of the rhodes22 boat
owners, The boat simply is not a blue water boat that is outside VHF
range. I think You get more "mileage" out of a handheld that is
waterproof and that can take AA batteries. Extra credit for have the
adapter so you can hook it up to the mast head antenna.

I think people are also missing the simple point, these guy were out in
a untested boat, under time push sure, in cold water.

-mjm

From
> my
> perspective, for communications range forget the stern.  You may  pick
up
> few dB with a larger antenna on the stern, but you will lose a couple
of
> dB
> in
> the transitions and cabling to the stern.  You'll be ahead, but  your
big
> hit
> is the line of sight issue - for example in the trawler accident  the
> antenna
> could be substantially masked by the waves at least part of the  time.
If