[Rhodes22-list] Single or double axle trailer

Julie Thorndycraft julie at circle7.net
Fri Jan 6 07:01:55 EST 2006

Phil,
Bill's message covers the major considerations. We opted for a new
galvanized single axle trailer in 2003 when we bought our recycled Rhodes
from Stan. We have also assisted friends with a double-axle and there is
considerable difference in maneuverability between the two. How are your
skills backing up a trailer? My husband has backed up both styles and is the
one that commented on ease of use with the single axle - and he grew up on a
ranch backing up farm equipment all the time so he doesn't usually have any
problem. On the flip side, weight positioning on the single axle is more
critical. We know that we have to get the boat far enough forward on the
trailer or we will start to sway over 50mph. When we get it right, we don't
even know the boat is back there and we can scream along at 70mph. Bill is
also right that your tow vehicle plays a role. The dual axle weighs quite a
bit more than the single. We use a Navigator as our tow vehicle, if you have
something of that size you won't have a problem with either.

As for long distance trailering - one piece of advice: tie everything down
securely. If anything can flap or slide around it may cause damage to your
boat. We even tie a line across the head door as it has been known to come
open on long trips and gets marked up pretty bad.

Julie
s/v Blue Loon
1996 Rhodes 22, recycled in 2003