[Rhodes22-list] Bilge Pumps

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 14:54:31 EST 2006

Today's list traffic on water leaking triggers a question for me on the
necessity of an electric bilge pump.  I am finalizing my "gadget specs" for
my new R22 and would appreciate your advice.

I noted in the archives that a preferred arrangement is to plumb through the
sink drain, which makes snese to me.  But I didn't see a clear consensus on
whether an electronic bilge pump is actually needed -- there seemed to be a
stronger sentiment for just locating the source of leaks (not that the two
are mutually exclusive).  Is this a must-have, a nice-to-have, or just
another nuisance gadget?

And if so, any other recommendations?  Practical Sailor just reviewed them
and picked the Water Witch, an all electronic model available at Defender.

Thanks, as always,

Dave Bradley