[Rhodes22-list] Bilge Pumps

cjlowe cjlowe at bright.net
Mon Jan 9 17:43:38 EST 2006

Another boat story.
 Last year after a weeks vacation at another lake,My wife and I were putting
the boat back in the home port lake. It came off the trailer a little harder
than usual,It took 3 back -up and stops , to get her to float off the
trailer.It was a hot day,and I was tired,so we decided to not rig and just
motor around and go check out the lake on the other side of the bridge.We
headed under the bridge with the mast on the carrier, motored around about 2
hours ,got back to the slip,tied up,stepped into the cabin  into 2  inches
of water.
  When I went to launch the boat I forgot to secure the centerboard pendent
,the whole weight of the boat landed on the CB ,cracking the CB cap. The CB
will kick up  when the boat is moving forward,but not when it is going
backwards.
I think if I had a bilge pump,I would have heard the motor or the sound of
moving water. I barely got the boat back on the trailer with all the extra
water in it.It peed all the way home (45 minutes),and I still pumped 50 gal.
of water out of it .
So, yes,I kind of like the Idea of a bilge pump.
Jerry Lowe