[Rhodes22-list] Re: voice recognition programs

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Jan 9 23:24:26 EST 2006

Tom,

The AI system in the latest generation of Dragon works so well you no
longer need the world's fastest computers.  The system goes faster as
you train it.  It does not work well for dyslexic people, or the blind,
because they don't "see" when it makes mistakes, and fail to train the
system to recognize their idiosyncratic syntax.  (They're; Their; There,
They Are)

The systems come 98% correct out of the box, and can reach well over
99.5% accuracy if you use them and train them.  They never make spelling
errors, and have an amazing vocabulary reach which expands as you go.
And I do mean amazing--they can spell many words that I know the sound
of, but have never spelled in my life.  Words like "Hasmonean" which I
used a few days ago and it got without a pause.

Take the time to let the system scan your documents before you start to
use it.  It will pick out your grammar, usage, and unique word
applications.  The first time I said "Effros" it knew how to spell it.
The first time I said "R22" it wrote "R-22".  I do all my major writing
and note taking using the Dragon system.  The major down side is if you
work with other people -- then everyone can hear what you are thinking,
and sometimes that might not be such a good thing.

The systems now work as well as you imagined they would when you first
heard of them.  The "thinking out loud" aspect is what holds them back
in the workplace.  Even with a Pentium III laptop I can input 110 words
a minute.

Bill Effros