[Rhodes22-list] new subj: Foreward Foam replacement?

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Jan 11 11:31:25 EST 2006

Luis -

One source for emergency flotation is

   http://www.turtlepac.com/yachtkit.htm

The advantage of the turtlepacs is that they
don't take up much space until they are needed.

I also had to remove saturated foam (cheap
urea - absolutely useless IMHO) from under
a vberth.  After cutting out the junk foam
with a variety of knives, I figure to replace
the glass vberth with a removable deck
screwed in place, so as to be easily pulled
out if I needed access to the bow quarters.

I plan to use truck inner tubes - cheap,
available, and will adapt to any shape.
The only proviso is that the area in which
they will live needs to be smooth.  If I
can't stand the smell of the rubber, I may
stow a partially inflated life raft under
there, making sure that the deck holding it
in place can be removed instantly.

But you can bet that there won't be any urea
foam for long in any boats that I work on in
the future.  The amount of water that it picked
up scared me - not just the weight, but the
compromised safety.

/Bob Skinner