[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring -- Phuzzy Physics

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Jan 12 12:50:21 EST 2006

Herb,

Got to work, no time now, glad people are thinking about this, will get
back, it's called a "Catenary Curve" and boaters got all involved with
it a few years ago--in fact if you look in the West Adviser of a few
years ago they drew it into the anchoring adviser--but it was gone the
last time I looked.  Somebody who knows physics explained that when you
are pulling the rode it flattens out.  It's not the same as the cables
draped over the towers of a suspension bridge--on boats our size with
chain that weighs just a few pounds, in order to pull the anchor you
flatten out the curve.

And when you aren't pulling the rode the chain all falls into the muck
(the starting point of this discussion) it doesn't form a catenary curve
then, either, because we don't have all chain rodes.  And our rode
floats.  And...

Gorgeous day here.  Got to fix the roof.  Where is Rummy when you need
him?  (Don't bother, I already know the answer.)

Bill Effros