[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring -- Phuzzy Physics

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 12 12:20:37 EST 2006

Bill,

   As someone who "knows physics"  I am always hesitant to answer
these questions because it embarssing to get it wrong. Catenary
curves are long lost in classes ~30 years ago.  In any case the catenary
(discovered by Liebnitz) function describes the curve formed by a rope
under  tension held at both ends.  The cantenary equations describe
the curve in all of these situations, modified by the buoyancy of the
rope and complicated by a second section which has a different density
(chain).  This complcates the solutions quite a bit - but the basic ideas
of the catenary shape are unchanged.  But the same equations should
describe a suspension bridge and a light anchor rode.

Ron