[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring -- Phuzzy Physics shaved

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Jan 12 13:56:09 EST 2006

The chain, believe it or not, serves somewhat
like a shock absorber.

Under no strain, a chain rode lies on the bottom.
Under severe strain, it is pulled up, almost in
a straight line between the anchor and the
attachment point on the boat.

It is what happens between these two static
positions that is most important.  The energy
used to raise the chain and make it taught is
subtracted from the shock that the boat will
put on the anchor when it has straightened out
and used up all the rode.

That helps the anchor stay where you put it.

Shock absorption is also helped by using
twisted 3-strand nylon rode, as opposed to
poly, as it stretches more than poly.

While long-term tension may ultimately cause an
anchor to drag, large short term shock will have
an even greater likelihood of breaking the anchor
loose.

So when the stuff is in the fan, or if on the
hook overnight, I opt to use some chain, nylon
line, and a rubber shock absorber in the line
-- in addition to as much scope as reasonable.

Of course, I still use a folding grapnel on a
simple nylon rode as a lunch hook.  KISS.

And, yes, I do wear both belt and suspenders...

/Bob Skinner