[Rhodes22-list] Lunch Hooks

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Jan 13 00:07:58 EST 2006

Bob,

Thanks for you comments, and everyone else, too.

I'm going to break out my replies into topics, instead of trying to
reply to all of the remarks made by any individual. I'll try to change
the subject lines so we can discuss different threads on the same
topic.  In the process I'll tell you what I learned this summer, and I
hope others will share their experiences, as well.  I don't think I am
the definitive word on anchoring--it is something I felt I should know
more about for that day when I really need it.

As you may remember, I started with a 1 1/2 lb. $5 folding grapnel
anchor on rode without chain.  I thought this anchor made an excellent
"lunch hook".  You could almost literally throw it overboard.  It went
straight for the bottom.  It always hooked on something. It held just
fine in most situations.  It could be retrieved by a child.  It came up
clean.  What's not to like?

I thought it was the perfect "lunch hook" and I discovered that whereas
I had been reluctant to anchor in the past, I now thought nothing of it,
and would anchor at a moment's notice--sometimes just out of curiosity
to see how deep the water was--like a lead line.

But, I also knew that sometimes the anchor would shake loose, and I
would drift for a bit before the anchor reset.

So I went to a larger folding grapnel, a 3 lb. model, and then a 5
pounder.  Every time I increased the size I also increased the
reliability of the anchor.  But still, each anchor would sometimes allow
for some drift.

So I switched to a 2 1/2 lb. Guardian anchor (by Fortress) with no
chain.  This has become my "go-to" anchor as I will explain elsewhere.
It has all of the advantages of the folding grapnel, and none of the
disadvantages.  It is light, easy to deploy, always hooks on something,
can be disassembled without tools, comes up clean...and once set it
stays set until you release it.  It is an ideal anchor.

I never use the "lunch hook" anymore, and have banished the concept of
"lunch hooks" from my anchoring vocabulary.  Every time I anchor I want
to use an anchor that doesn't drift--whether I'm paying attention or
not.  Also, by practicing with my "go-to" anchor all the time, I get
better at using it, and have more faith in it when I use it at times
when I cannot constantly watch it.

The Guardian runs around $50, can be completely disassembled and stored
in a pouch along with 100 feet of rode, is made of an aluminum/magnesium
alloy, has 11" long flukes, and will fit into a Rubbermaid container
under the cockpit seats, along with rode, completely assembled, without
the need to cut notches into the container.  (I've done that too, but
the container fails after a while.)

I have 2 on board--one under the cockpit seat, and the other in a pouch
in the lazarette.  I have a Fortress FX-7 on the bow.  I would match
these 3 anchors against any other anchor in the world in terms of
safety, holding power, ability to remain set in changing wind and
current conditions, and likelihood of having available when needed.  All
three anchors are always on board, each with 100 to 150 feet of its own
rode.

These are my "lunch hooks" but they are also my "hurricane hole" hooks.

Bill Effros