[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring -- Phuzzy Physics

salm at mn.rr.com salm at mn.rr.com
Thu Jan 12 14:04:03 EST 2006

This is one of those discussions I never get tired of.  I think that  about
90% of the times I've anchored overnight, I
could get away with using a cinder block and a peice of clothesline cord.
But then I don't have to deal with currents
on Lake Minnetonka and I choose not to stay out if it's very stormy.  I
usually anchor in a protected bay where the
worst that could happen is that I bump up to a soft, sandy shore.  I rarely
feel the need to go whole hog with my
number one plow anchor and 22' of chain.  But for those times when you're
not sure--and want to be--I'd certainly
go all the way, including a sentinal or kellet.  I think it's a judgement
call depending on your knowledge of the
bottom, the weather and other considerations.  Even Chapman is not adament
about it--they merely "recommend"
some chain.

Slim