[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring -- Phuzzy Physics

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Thu Jan 12 14:23:39 EST 2006

Bill,

I’d prepared a long winded discourse regarding the forces on anchors, etc,
but when I signed on I saw you were being assailed on all sides, so let me back
 off and just state what I think are the core issues.

The whole point of a metal chain anchor rode is not to help the anchor  sink.
 The whole point of a metal chain anchor rode is to help set the  anchor, it
may also help keep the anchor set.

It seems to me that what’s going on at the boat end of your rode is of no
consequence for anchoring.  I think all the forces and angles of interest  for
freeing and setting an anchor are at the anchor shank.  The flukes,  etc, will
adapt, but to set the anchor you need to get the shank within it’s  operating
range, and in my limited experience that’s always more horizontal than
vertical.

Everything else being equal, the additional weight of chain rode adjacent  to
the anchor shank will offset vertical forces coming down from the anchor line
 and allow the anchor shank to be more horizontal.  In many quiescent cases,
the weight of the metal chain will actually eliminate any vertical force on
the  anchor shank entirely, all the forces to the anchor will be horizontal so
the  shank can be horizontal - that's optimal. Again, more horizontal is good
when it  comes to setting and holding.

Bottom line - anything which helps keep the anchor shank horizontal or more
horizontal is a good thing.  A metal chain rode attached to the shank does
that.

Now, you CAN achieve much the same effect by letting out a lot of scope -
but it’s not uncommon to be constrained so that you can’t let out a lot of
scope  - but in no case will having a chain rode hurt you in terms of setting and
holding.  So use chain rode, and carry enough anchor line, the two may get
you through.

Like you, I’ve anchored without chain rode, but I’ve also had problems on
occasion.  I think it was because the anchor shank was too high,  I  think
chain rode would have helped.

I’ll be very interested to see the results of the anchor tests.

Dave