[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring

Michel Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Thu Jan 12 22:05:16 EST 2006

Ok. Looks like I miss all the Fun today. To save some of the heartache,
lets try to organize the issues a bit.

We are in a applied engineering domain and practical user experience,
the engineers please simplify and use good examples, for the "sailors"
please understand there are time proven Numerical methods and you might
have to simply accept them, there is a reasonable question if the
"model" being used is right, but It only pisses off the engineers with
"unproven nonsense", junk arguments, etc....

First off how much anchor?
1)for the most part it is a function of wind speed and somewhat wind and
tide.
a)at zero wind a there is no force, so a brick on kite string will work
b)at an F5 tornado you can kiss your ask good by
c) lets pick a speed that we can agree on for this, I like (1) 42 knots,
a very good thunderstorm, (2) 63 knots (the edge of the hurricane and
perhaps a once in a lifetime event, but I got nailed their).
d)I could not find the tables for windload from the last time, can
someone calculated look/up the load in lb for a rhode22 type of
sailboat, IIRC I estimated about 900lb's at the top number, but I might
be high.

2) Connecting to boat, load forces
a)that has never been much of an issue on the rhodes, best statement is
connecting to the bow eye lessens the scope
b)but if some one wants to agurge forces on the cleats go ahead

3)deck chocks
a)type
b)location
c)how installed
d)the need for chaffe grards

4)scope lengths
1)5:1
2)7:1
3)10:1
4)impact crowding?

5)rode type and size
a)3/8 3 strand new gland
b)nylon does not float?
c) tripping people up/run over the rope with a floating rode?
d) 7/16 and 1/2 do not streght right on a whodes22?
e)storage, flacking
other?

6)Chian
a) size (1/4 inch)
b)length
c)effects on the anchor
d)The effects of chaff of the shaft holding the rope on the bottom
without it

7)setting
a)stopped
b)moveing
c)in a all out emerangys
d)in the storm and it dragging

7)the effect or wind and tide
a)boat chance direction, will the anch break out
b)will the anchor reset on its own when the boat moves(which it will)

8)anchors types and bottoms
(this just gooes on)
but..
short scope
long scope

9)special comments:
a)how some danforst set only on their points and one point
b)how some danforths when they reset, draw a "line" on the bottom and
will not reset
c)how some danforst that are mad of AL, will "sail" in slow moveing
water and never reach the bottom

This should get it started