[Rhodes22-list] Chain/Rope Rode

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Jan 13 02:14:18 EST 2006

Slim,

The formula is totally arbitrary.  You are right, it makes no sense.
Reducing all the chain/rope rode answers to English, everyone seems to
agree that the "helper metal" theory is rubbish.  No one wants to defend
that theory.  Which leaves the catenary curve theory.  The chain is
going to pull the anchor in a perfectly horizontal direction by lying on
the bottom while the rope forms a catenary curve pulling on the chain.
It may take another half day, but the physics majors aren't going to
defend that proposition for very long, either.

So someone will trot out the "protecting the rope from the rocks on the
bottom" theory.  But why should a 10 foot boat require only 10 feet of
protected rode and a 20 foot boat need 20 feet of protected rode if the
chain is pulling all the rode to the bottom?

Attaching chain doesn't make the rope any stronger.  In fact, it makes
it weaker.

Really going to bed now.  Can't work musicians hours like I used to,

Bill Effros