[Rhodes22-list] Chain/Rope Rode

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 13 14:25:09 EST 2006

Bill,

  Did you look at:
http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/Articles/anchor.htm
He calculates the tension needed to lift the end of the anchor
line off the ground as a function of the weight of the line, and
includes a spreadsheet which uses an iterative calculation to
estimate this tension for an arbitrary combination of chain and
line.  This, in combination with what I think is a reasonable
estimate of the relative lifting force as a function of angle
on the Fortress web site, makes a pretty strong arguement
for a lenght of chain at the end of an anchor line.

Ron