[Rhodes22-list] GPS and Depth Finder

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Fri Jan 13 09:03:12 EST 2006

Mark,
We sailed the Chesapeake for a number of years without the GPS and without
a depth finder. Several years ago we got a handheld GPS and a fishfinder
with an easy to read depth screen. We use both for navigation in
conjunction with paper charts. The GPS has been a fun toy. It's most unique
uses have been estimating the amount of time it will take you to get some
place and giving a spped over ground readout. There are other ways of
getting the same info but the GPS is easy. We understand the effects of
currents a lot better than we did before we had the GPS.

The GPS is at its most useful in an emergency situation. Last year we came
across an overturned sailboat at the mouth of Swan Creek. The sailor who
was singlehanding was in the water and had contacted the Coast Guard on a
handheld VHF radio. We were alerted to the situation by the conversation on
the VHF. He was describing to the Coast Guard where he was with local
landmarks while they were asking him for Lat/Lon. We were able to break in
on the conversation and give them exact coordinates from the GPS. That also
brought two large workboats to his assistance very quickly.

With all of the shallows on the Chesapeake, a depth sounder is incredible
handy for following depth contours navigating across areas well out of the
channels - or for determining when you are in a channel and want to get out
of it quickly because of the boat traffic.

My opinion on your question is that neither one is absolutely necessary but
that if you are sailing in an area as heavily trafficked and as changeable
as the Chesapeake every bit of information is valuable. You have to draw
the line somewhere - we don't and won't have radar though there have been
foggy, rainy sails near ship channels where it would have been nice. We
don't and won't (until they become a lot cheaper) have a charting GPS. The
fishfinder and the GPS were each only a little over $100.

Hope this helps.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Swan Creek, MD